UConn works with, and on behalf of, the public-at-large to promote responsibility and benefit in achieving a just, satisfying and sustainable community. We will realize this vision by working toward:
- enriching the economic, social and cultural capital of our state’s residents;
- reducing disparities of opportunity and life experiences across communities;
- promoting civil discourse that respects various cultural, social, technological and philosophical perspectives;
- encouraging critical thinking, civic awareness, oral, written and visual literacy;
- fostering occasions to experience visual and performing arts; and
- building sustainable partnerships and strategies for shared decision-making.
Our promise affirms the statements of the 30th anniversary action statement of Campus Compact, which characterizes our current commitment and ideals toward which we will work with renewed dedication, focus, and vigor. Through this commitment our ideals align with the Campus Compact statements: We empower our students, faculty, staff, and community partners to co-create mutually respectful partnerships in pursuit of a just, equitable, and sustainable future for communities beyond the campus—nearby and around the world. We prepare our students for lives of engaged citizenship, with the motivation and capacity to deliberate, act, and lead in pursuit of the public good. We embrace our responsibilities as place-based institutions, contributing to the health and strength of our communities—economically, socially, environmentally, educationally, and politically. We harness the capacity of our institutions—through research, teaching, partnerships, and institutional practice—to challenge the prevailing social and economic inequalities that threaten our democratic future. We foster an environment that consistently affirms the centrality of the public purposes of higher education by setting high expectations for members of the campus community to contribute to their achievement.