Campus Compact is committed to developing and sustaining strategic partnerships that advance the public purposes of colleges and universities by deepening their ability to improve community life and to educate students for civic and social responsibility. Campus Compact envisions colleges and universities as vital agents and architects of a diverse democracy, committed to educating students for responsible citizenship in ways that both deepen their education and improve the quality of community life.
We challenge all of higher education to make civic and community engagement an institutional priority. To see a list of our members and state affiliates click here.
Our approach to partnership and collaboration is grounded in the values and principles commonly advocated for high-quality campus-community partnerships, including:
- Clear, common goals and ongoing communication;
- Shared resources and mutual benefit; and
- Mobilization of each partner’s distinct assets.
Our interest is in developing partnerships that promise to advance:
- Reciprocal partnerships between campuses and communities.
- Academic cultures and policies that recognize high-quality community engaged scholarship.
- Development of students’ civic identities, skills, and knowledge.
- Connecting student preparation, access and success to civic engagement efforts including community-based research.
- Opportunities for deliberative, inclusive dialogue about important public issues.
- Institutional engagement initiatives where campuses aim to operate responsibly as major employers, landowners, purchasers, etc., as well as educators and researchers.
- Campus participation in community and economic renewal efforts.
- Documentation and research on the impact and efforts of this work and application of these findings to practice.
Please note that Campus Compact needs sufficient time to respond and participate in possible partnerships and resource sharing. Please contact us in an appropriate time frame that allows time to talk about, discuss, and acknowledge the important aspects of a partnership.