Making the Case for Community Engaged Scholarship (CES)
Key Readings and Resources
- Calleson, D.C., Jordan, C., and Seifer, SD. (2005). Community-Engaged Scholarship: Is Faculty Work in Communities a True Academic Enterprise? Academic Medicine, Vol. 80, No. 4. 317-321.
- Community-Campus Partnerships for Health (2005). Community-Engaged Scholarship Toolkit.
- Doberneck, D.M., Glass, C.R., & Schweitzer, J.H. (2011). Convening constructive conversations about engaged scholarship in promotion and tenure. National Outreach Scholarship Conference 2011. Michigan State University, University Outreach and Engagement. 1-20.
- Doberneck, D. M., & Schweitzer, J. H. (2012). Disciplinary differences in engaged scholarship: What research tells us. Proceedings from the 13th Annual National Outreach Scholarship Conference.
- Dowdy, D. W. & Pai, M. (2012). Bridging the gap between knowledge and health: The epidemiologist as accountable health advocate (“AHA!”). Epidemiology, 23(6), 914-918.
- Ellingson, L. L. & Quinlan, M. M. (2012). Beyond the research/service dichotomy: Claiming all research products for hiring, evaluation, tenure, and promotion. Qualitative Communication Research, 1(3), 385-399.
- Ellison, J & Eatman, T. (2008). Scholarship in public: Knowledge creation and tenure policy in the engaged university, Imagining America, Syracuse University.
- Freeman E, Gust S, Aloshen D. (2009). Why faculty promotion and tenure matters to community partners. Metropolitan Universities Journal; 20(2), 87-103.
- Jackson, E.T., Schwartz, K., Andree, P. (2008). Aligning tenure and promotion procedures for community-university engagement: Dialogue for action.
- Jordan C. (2006). Developing criteria for review of community- engaged scholars for promotion or tenure. Community- Engaged Scholarship for Health Collaborative.
- Lambert-Pennington, K. (2016). Promoting Engaged Scholars: Matching Tenure Policy and Scholarly Practice. Metropolitan Universities Journal, 27(2): 50-58.
- Scott, J. (2007). Engaging academia in community research: Overcoming obstacles and providing incentives, Center for Urban and Environmental Solutions (CUES), Florida Atlantic University
- University of Illinois at Chicago. (2000). Report of the task force on the scholarship of engagement.
- Welch, Marshall (2016). Engaging Higher Education: Purpose, Platforms, and Programs for Community Engagement. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.