Suggested Readings in Community Engagement Fundamentals
(articles with an asterisk may be of particular interest to community colleges)
- *Association of American Colleges & Universities (AAC&U) . High Impact Practices: An Overview.
- Beere, C.A., Votruba, J., & Wells, G. (2011). Becoming an engaged campus: A practical guide for institutionalizing public engagement. Indianapolis: Jossey-Bass.
- Boyer, Ernest (1997). “The scholarship of engagement.” In Earnest L Boyer, Selected speeches, 1979-1995. Princeton, NJ: The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
- Butin, D. (2003). Of what use is it? Multiple conceptualizations of service learning within education. Teachers College Record, 105(9), 1674-1692
- Cantor, N., & Englot, P. (2014). "Civic renewal of higher education through renewed commitment to the Public Good." In Civic engagement, civic development, and higher education. Edited by Jill N. Reich. Washington, DC: Bringing Theory to Practice.
- Delgon, C., Mitchell, T.D., & Eaton, T.K. [eds] (2017). The Cambridge handbook of service learning and community engagement. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Dempsey, S. E. (2010). Critiquing community engagement. Management Communication Quarterly, 24(3), 359-390.
- Dostilio, L. D. [ed.] (2017). The community engagement professional in higher education: A competency model for an emerging field. Boston: Campus Compact.
- Gelmon, S. B., Holland, B. A., Driscoll, A., Spring, A., & Kerrigan, S. (2018). Assessing service-learning and civic engagement: Principles and techniques (2nd Ed.). Providence, RI: Campus Compact
- Hoy, A., & Johnson, M. [eds] (2013). Deepening community engagement in higher education: Forging new pathways. New York, NY: Palgrave MacMillian.
- Jacoby, B. (2009). Civic engagement in higher education, Jossey-Bass.
- Kezar, A.J., Chambers, T.C., Burkhardt, J.C., & associates (2005). Higher education for the Public Good.: Emerging voices from a national movement. San Francisco, CA: Josse-Bass.
- Mitchell, T. D. (2008). Traditional vs. critical service-learning: Engaging the literature to differentiate two models. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, 14(2).
- Mitchell, T. D., Donahue, D. M., & Young-Law, C. (2012). Service learning as a pedagogy of whiteness. Equity & Excellence in Education, 45(4), 612-629.
- *Murphy, B. (2014). Civic learning in community college. In Civic engagement, civic development, and higher education, edited by Jill N. Reich. Washington, DC: Bringing Theory to Practice.
- Post, M.A., Ward, E., Longo, N.V., & Saltmarsh, J. (2016). Publicly engaged scholars: Next generation engagement and the future of higher education. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- *Prentice, M., Robinson, G., Patton, M. (2012). Cultivating community beyond the classroom. Washington, DC: AACC.
- Reich, J.L. (2014). Civic engagement, civic development, and higher education. Washington, DC: Bringing Theory to Practice.
- Welch, M. (2016). Engaging higher education: Purposes, platforms, and programs for community engagement. Boston, MA: Campus Compact.
- Yamamura, E. and Koth, K. (2018). Place-based community engagement in higher education: A strategy to transform universities and communities. Stylus Publishing.
- AASCU - American Democracy Project
- Academic Programs in Community Engagement (compiled by Dan Sarofian-Butin)
- Bonner Foundation
- Carnegie Foundation’s Classification for Community Engagement
- Campus Compact
- Community engagement in higher education: Online information sources. Compiled by A.M. Gruber, A.M. College & Research Libraries News. 78(10). Accessed October 5, 2018.
- Equity-based Service-Learning. Campus Compact.
- Imagining America
- Indicators of Engagement Collection. Campus Compact.
- Scholarly Resources. The Institute for Community & Economic Engagement at University of North Carolina Greensboro.
- The Talloires Network