Director of Development
Campus Compact is a national coalition of 1000 colleges and universities committed to the public purposes of higher education. Established in 1985, our network comprises a national office in Boston and state and regional offices and affiliates across the country. As the only national higher education association dedicated solely to campus-based democracy-building, Campus Compact enables higher education institutions to develop students’ citizenship skills and forge effective community partnerships. Our resources support senior administrators, faculty, staff, and students as they pursue community-based teaching, scholarship, and action in the service of positive change.
Campus Compact seeks a Director of Development to advance the work of our coalition through the cultivation of relationships with partners and supporters. This is a new position. The Director of Development has the opportunity to create a philanthropic engagement strategy and culture within the organization that leverages our strong track record of resource stewardship, our history of accomplishment, and our vision for achieving greater impact in the face of new challenges. In this effort, the Director will benefit from Campus Compact’s committed and engaged Board of Directors; our diverse and mission-driven staff; the deep local relationships of our place-based offices and affiliates; and our strong relationships with senior leaders, faculty, staff, and students on our member campuses across the country. We are a small team that values collaboration and innovation and depends upon each other for our shared success.
Because Campus Compact has experienced significant programmatic and organizational growth in recent years (our operating budget and our staff have increased fourfold), the new Director should possess a willingness to give and receive help, an appetite for new approaches, and an orientation toward learning. We are working collaboratively and deliberately to shape the way we work together to advance our mission and grow our resources.
The largest sources of Campus Compact’s revenue are institutional membership dues and a combination of federal, corporate, and foundation grants. Smaller but growing sources are individual giving and earned revenue. The Director of Development will join Campus Compact as we launch a new strategic plan and a new organizational data framework. In that context, the Director will have the opportunity to shape data gathering and data organization tools to serve a forward-looking development approach.
The position is Boston-based. The Director will report to Campus Compact’s president and work closely with senior financial and program leaders.
- In conjunction with the president and Board of Directors, develop short- and long-term fund development strategies to advance Campus Compact’s mission.
- Develop objectives and metrics to capture progress toward development goals.
- Ensure that development approaches are driven by Campus Compact’s values, mission, and strategic plan.
- Maintain and grow existing revenue streams including foundation and government grants; corporate grants, sponsorships, and partnerships; membership dues; fee for service programs; and individual giving. This area of responsibility includes:
- Cultivation and solicitation
- Proposal writing
- Building and managing systems for tracking and engaging donors, prospects
- Prospect research
- Communication with funders and donors
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations, laws, and ethical principles.
- Represent Campus Compact in work with grantmakers, donors, prospects, regulators.
- Help identify, cultivate, recruit, develop, and train fundraising volunteers and leadership; provide regular support and evaluation.
We are seeking someone with the following qualities:
- Listening and collaboration skills
- Capacity to communicate Campus Compact’s vision and mission in ways that inspire
- Personal alignment with Campus Compact values
- Flawless follow-through, attention to detail; strong organizational orientation
- Ability to see opportunities on the horizon; appreciate the long term work of building and cultivating relationships
- Ability to connect the dots to create matches between resources and resource needs so that everyone wins
- Asset-based mindset
- Excellent writer
- Demonstrated experience in building and implementing a fund development plan that achieved success
- Demonstrated ability to identify and cultivate ideas for projects that will both attract resources and yield impact
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in proposal writing for a range of funders, such as foundations, corporations, and federal agencies
- Demonstrated experience with financial management, including grants and gifts oversight, budget development, and monitoring
- Knowledge and experience with research and cultivation practices; demonstrated experience and confidence in asking people to contribute time and money
- Bachelor’s degree; substantial fundraising experience in a professional position
- Experience with federal grants
- Knowledge and experience in special events—corporate sponsorship and marketing
- Experience in individual donor cultivation
- Experience in building creative partnerships
- CFRE certification
Salary between $85,00 and $100,000, depending on qualifications and experience. Campus Compact provides a competitive benefits package including a generous vacation policy and a retirement contribution match.
Campus Compact strives to attract and retain a diverse and talented staff who will contribute to the organization’s goals, mission, and vision. We encourage individuals of all ethnic, racial, religious, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply. Campus Compact is committed to increasing the diversity of our national team consistent with the values of our network.
Campus Compact is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), or any other basis prohibited by law.
Please note that Campus Compact is a proud Employer of National Service. We encourage alumni of AmeriCorps VISTA, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs to apply.
To apply, please submit:
- Letter of interest linking your qualifications and experience to the responsibilities of the position.
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- Brief statement (roughly 150-200 words) summarizing the significance of diversity, equity, and inclusion in your own personal or professional life
- Names and contact information for three professional references
Materials should be saved as one file (with your last name in the filename) and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com