Executive Director, Office of Equal Opportunity
From Bridgewater State University’s inception in 1840 by Horace Mann as one of the first normal schools in America to the current day, BSU has worked to ensure that our students receive an accessible, affordable, and exceptional education. BSU aspires to be the leader in our mission class for closing equity gaps for Black/Cape Verdean, Latinx, Native American, Asian, and other students of color. BSU’s https://www.bridgew.edu/bsuvalues, the work of the https://www.bridgew.edu/racial-justice/task-force, and leadership of the https://www.bridgew.edu/the-university/diversity-consortium underscore the campus’ commitment to racial equity and other forms of social justice.
The Office of Equal Opportunity is responsible for the development, delivery, and oversight of policies and procedures related to preventing and providing redress for allegations of discrimination and harassment based on legally protected characteristics. The office provides leadership, coordination, and oversight of the University’s affirmative action, equal opportunity, disability compliance, and Title IX initiatives. Successful candidates will be staff members that can work with their colleagues to help meet the mission of the Office of Equal Opportunity in serving and supporting our diverse campus community. The Office of Equal Opportunity is both an administrative unit of, and a resource center for, the University community.
The Executive Director in the Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) will serve as an equity-minded leader helping to effectuate change at Bridgewater State University, a campus committed to racial and other forms of equity. The Executive Director will have responsibility for oversight of OEO and oversight for compliance with federal and state non-discrimination laws and regulations, and equal opportunity requirements. The Executive Director will also serve as the University's Title IX Coordinator and Title II/Section 504 Coordinator and Affirmative Action Officer.
Supervision Received: President, Chief of Staff/Vice President for Strategy & PlanningSupervision Exercised: Office of Equal Opportunity Staff, Sexual Violence Advocacy and Support Center Staff
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement This position must comply with the University Covid-19 Attestation requirement. All employees must be fully vaccinated and complete the Covid-19 Attestation upon hire.Medical or Religious ExemptionsAn employee may request an exemption to the vaccination requirement based on the existence of medical contraindication to vaccination. In addition, an employee may request an exemption to the vaccination requirement based on a sincere religious belief. In both cases, an employee will be required to submit documentation to support the request for an exemption. Employees who secure an exemption may be required to take additional precautions in the workplace and will be required to participate in weekly COVID-19 testing through the university's Wellness Center.
Position Type: Professional Non-Unit
1. Using an equity practice framework, lead, oversee, develop, and implement the University’s response, prevention, and education responsibilities in collaboration with on and off-campus partners, including developing and disseminating educational materials and training tailored to faculty, staff, and students.2. Investigate and process inquiries and discrimination and harassment complaints received from a diverse campus community, as well as third parties in a timely manner, providing a fair and neutral process for all parties.3. Advise parties on the investigative process and grievance procedures; develop and implement equity-minded investigation plans; identify and interview parties and witnesses; gather relevant documentation; write reports of investigation with findings of fact and recommendations; and ensure complainant and respondent have access to a diverse variety of on and off-campus resources and interim measures, as appropriate.4. Recruit, train, and provide leadership to a diverse population of staff serving as investigators, appeal officers, and administrative review board members as appropriate and needed.5. Monitor and manage all incidents and complaints utilizing a case management system to organize, manage, and track all incidents and complaints ensuring efficient and effective response by the University and to identify patterns and make recommendations.6. Provide training and education to campus constituents and oversee all trainings offered by OEO.7. Oversee the campus Sexual Violence Advocacy and Support Center, including supervising outreach educator and faculty associates, to coordinate and implement comprehensive sexual and relationship violence prevention education and survivor advocacy and support services to a diverse campus community.8. Stay abreast of applicable federal and state laws, regulations, guidance, and best practices; and assist in the ongoing review of applicable University policies, programs, and practice.9. Ensure compliance with all aspects of equal opportunity and affirmative action requirements and related programs including collaborating with the Division of Human Resources & Talent Management to implement hiring procedures.10. Serve as the University’s ADA/Section 504 Coordinator reviewing and processing requests for Reasonable Accommodation in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.11. Collaborate with the division of Student Success & Diversity to ensure consistency of messaging and programming and to facilitate interdivisional information sharing to inform targeted interventions.12. Serve on University committees as assigned.13. Perform other responsibilities compliance duties as assigned.
• JD from an accredited law school or Master’s degree in human resources, higher education administration, or other relevant discipline from an accredited institution of higher education.
• Experience and training conducting equity-minded, sensitive, and confidential investigations alleging discrimination and harassment.
• Experience independently and efficiently managing a significant caseload.
• Knowledge of and ability to interpret federal and state laws regarding discrimination, harassment, and equal opportunity, including but not limited to, Title VII and the ADA. Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to interpret federal and state laws applicable to institutions of higher education that address discrimination, harassment, sexual assault, relationship violence and stalking, including but not limited to Title VI, Title IX, the Rehabilitation Act, Clery, and VAWA.
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to speak formally or informally to diverse audiences and communicate complex, technical requirements using simple language.
• Strong analytical and problem resolution abilities.
• Strong presentation and organization skills.
• Demonstrated ability to build collaborative relationships across a broad spectrum of stakeholders, including experience in interacting with and addressing the needs of a diverse community on sensitive issues.
• Demonstrated ability to deal appropriately with confidential and sensitive information.
• Experience with trauma informed interactions with sexual violence victims/survivors.
• Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of diversity and inclusion, social justice, and equity.
• At least two years of recent, substantive work experience conducting discrimination and harassment investigations in a higher education setting.
• Experience in reviewing and implementing policies and procedures regarding non-discrimination, equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, and other compliance requirements in a higher education setting.
Bridgewater State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employee with disabilities. To request a reasonable accommodation for the application process, please complete and submit this electronic form: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcm.maxient.com%2Freportingform.php%3FBridgewaterStateUniv%26layout_id%3D18&data=04%7C01%7CHRICHARDSGAY%40bridgew.edu%7Cae02968cb954465a33ee08d97c70c24d%7C48ec3bf8d1654eabbbeef8d5307f46e1%7C0%7C0%7C637677645998136535%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=EVfCi7aR57zPQiGhKaSVgRxnTXX5NBrxzf4N1lS3VfQ%3D&reserved=0
Special Conditions for Eligibility:
Please be aware that employment at Bridgewater State University is contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
This position is not eligible for H-1B sponsorship.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement This position must comply with the University Covid-19 Attestation requirement. All employees must be fully vaccinated and complete the Covid-19 Attestation upon hire.Medical or Religious ExemptionsAn employee may request an exemption to the vaccination requirement based on the existence of medical contraindication to vaccination. In addition, an employee may request an exemption to the vaccination requirement based on a sincere religious belief. In both cases, an employee will be required to submit documentation to support the request for an exemption. Employees who secure an exemption may be required to take additional precautions in the workplace and will be required to participate in weekly COVID-19 testing through the university’s Wellness Center.
Salary Range: $100,000 - $107,000
Posting Number: S00826P
Open Date: 07/06/2022
Close Date: 8/7/2022
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please note the following information is required to complete your application for this position:
a minimum of one (1) employment history entry.
a minimum of three (3) professional reference entries.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3217457
Bridgewater State University (BSU) is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer which actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.