Throughout its history, Campus Compact has involved select faculty and other leaders in a variety of projects and activities intended to enhance and expand civic and community engagement at higher education institutions. Engaged Scholar appointments were made based on specific needs that Campus Compact identified, with support from the Pew Charitable Trusts and the Carnegie Corporation.
In 2008-2009, we are experimenting with a different approach to the Engaged Scholars initiative. Ten outstanding leaders have joined us as Engaged Scholars for New Perspectives in Higher Education:
- Elizabeth Carmichael Burton, Associate Director, Office of Citizenship and Service-Learning, Missouri State University;
- David Donahue, Associate Professor of Education, Mills College;
- MarÃa Mercedes Franco, Assistant Professor of Mathematics, and Associate Director, QCC ExCEL Service-Learning Initiative, Queensborough Community College;
- Melissa Kesler Gilbert, Director, Center for Community Engagement, Otterbein College;
- Patrick Green, Director of Experiential Learning, Loyola University Chicago;
- Mathew Johnson, Associate Professor of Sociology, and Director, Presidential VISTA Fellows Program, Siena College;
- Micki Meyer, Director of Community Engagement, Rollins College;
- Tania Mitchell, Service Learning Director, Center for Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity, and Lecturer, School of Education and CCSRE, Stanford University;
- Margaret Post, Director, Donelan Office of Community Based Learning, College of Holy Cross; and
- Rowena Tomaneng, Professor of English and Women’s Studies, Lecturer in Ethnic Studies, and Director, Institute of Community and Civic Engagement, DeAnza (Community) College.
These Engaged Scholars will function not only as individual resources for the field but also as an intentional learning community. Campus Compact chose them specifically for their ability to bring diverse communities, identities, and perspectives to bear on their work; their academic and administrative leadership of engagement efforts at a variety of types of higher education institutions across the country; and their commitment to sharing the results of their collaborative action and analysis and to expanding the dialogue to engage other colleagues, community partners, and students.
The following individuals have previously served as Engaged Scholars with Campus Compact:
- Rick Battistoni
- Cathy Burack
- Pierre Clavel
- Dick Cone
- Sandra Enos
- Stephanie Evans
- Andrew Furco
- Sherril Gelmon
- Roger Henry
- Barbara Holland
- Barbara Jacoby
- Seanna Kerrigan
- Mark Langseth
- Dasaratha V. Rama
- Ken Reardon
- Randy Stoecker
- Jane V. Wellman
- Dilafruz Williams
See also Senior Faculty Fellows.
For more information about this initiative, please email email@example.com.