Lynton Questions for Departmental Discussion of the Role of Engagement
- What kinds of engagement activities are possible and typical within our discipline of professional field?
- Which of these activities are particularly consistent with the mission of our school, college and university?
- Which of these are of greatest potential value in enhancing our department’s undergraduate and graduate programs?
- Which could best provide opportunities for direct student involvement?
- Which are likely to benefit classroom instruction?
- Which of these activities are most strongly linked to basic and applied research carried out by members of our department?
- Which might enhance our extramural funding?
- What documentation would be appropriate for evaluating and rewarding the engagement activities we want to encourage?
Lynton, Ernest A. (1995) Making the Case for Professional Service. Washington, DC: American Association for Higher Education