Key Readings on Campus-Community Partnerships
Updated January 2020
- Bringle, R. G., Clayton, P. H., & Price, M. (2009). Partnerships in service learning and civic engagement. Partnerships: A Journal of Service Learning & Civic Engagement, 1(1), 1–20. Full text.
- Dostilio, L. D. & Welch, M (2018). “Chapter 7: Cultivating high quality partnerships.” In The Community Engagement Professional’s Guidebook: A Companion to The Community Engagement Professional in Higher Education. Boston, MA: Campus Compact.
- Eddy, P. (2010). Partnerships and Collaborations in Higher Education. ASHE Higher Education Report 36 (2), 2010. 115 pp
- Gust, S. and Jordan, C. The Community Impact Statement: A tool for creating healthy partnerships. Minneapolis, 2006.
- Janke, E. M., & Dumlao, R. (2019). Developing communication repertoire to address conflict in community engagement work. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement, 21(3), 35-56.
- Martin, L., & Crossland, S. (2017). High quality community-campus partnerships: Approaches and competencies. In L. D. Dostilio (Ed.), The community engagement professional in higher education: A competency model for an emerging field (pp. 161–178). Boston: MA, Campus Compact.
- Stoecker, R. & Tryon, E. [Eds.] (2009) Unheard Voices: Community Organizations and Service-Learning. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Trebil-Smith, K. (2019). Perceptions of partnership: A study on non profit and higher education collaboration. Des Moines, IA: Iowa Campus Compact. Retrieved from Iowa Campus Compact Website: https://iacampuscompact.org/perceptions-of-partnership/
Additional Key Readings
- Boyle, M. E., Ross, L., & Stephens, J.C. (2011). Who has a stake? How stakeholder processes influence partnership sustainability. Gateways, 4, 100–118.
- Bracken, S. J. (2008). Changing times? Past, present, and future discussions of community-university partnerships. PAACE Journal of Lifelong Learning, 17, 1–17.
- Bringle, R. G., & Hatcher, J. A. (2002). Campus–community partnerships: The terms of engagement. Journal of Social Issues, 58, 503–516.
- Butcher, J., Bezzina, M., & Moran, W. (2010). Transformational partnerships: A new agenda for higher education. Innovative Higher Education, 36, 29-40.
- Catholic Relief Services. (2015). Partnership reflection: A Guide for facilitators. Catholic Relief Services Training Manual. Baltimore, MD: Author.
- Clayton, P. H., Bringle, R. G., Senor, B., Huq, J., & Morrison, M. (2010). Differentiating and assessing relationships in service-learning and civic engagement: Exploitative, transactional, or transformational. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, 16(2), 5-21.
- Dumlao, R., & Janke, E. M. (2012). Relational dialectics: Understanding and managing challenging dynamics in campus-community partnerships. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement, 16(2): 79-103.
- Eckerle Curwood, S., Munger, F., Mitchell, T., Mackeigan, M., & Farrar, A., (2011). Building effective community-university partnerships: Are universities truly ready? Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, Spring 2011, 15-26.
- Etienne, H. (2012). Pushing back the gates: Neighborhood perspectives on university driven revitalization in West Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Hartman, Eric (2015). A Strategy for Community-Driven Service-Learning and Community Engagement: Fair Trade Learning. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning. Fall 2015, pp.97-100
- International perspectives on community-university partnerships. Metropolitan Universities Journal, 22(2).
- Jacoby, B., & Associates [Eds.] (2003). Building Partnerships for Service-Learning. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Janke, E. M. (2009). Defining characteristics of partnership identity in faculty-community partnerships. In. B. Moely, S. Billig, & B. Holland (Eds.), Creating our identities in service-learning and community engagement (pp. 75-101). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Keith, N. Z. (2015). Engaging in social partnerships: Democratic practices for campus-community partnerships. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Kleinhesselink K, Schooley S, Cashman S, Richmond A, Ikeda E, McGinley P, Editors (2015). Engaged faculty institute curriculum. Seattle, WA: Community-Campus Partnerships for Health. [see especially pp. 20 – 48].
- Koch, C. (2005). Making Value Visible: Excellence in Campus-Community Partnerships in the Arts, Humanities, and Design. Imagining America: Arts & Scholars in Public Life.
- Le, V. (2020). “Guidelines for higher education programs that require students to do special projects with nonprofits.” Non-Profit AF, accessed February 3, 2020 at: https://nonprofitaf.com/2020/02/guidelines-for-higher-education-programs-that-require-students-to-do-special-projects-with-nonprofits/.
- Leiderman, S., Furco, A., Zapf, J., & Goss, M. (2002). Building partnerships with college campuses: Community perspectives. Washington, DC: Council of Independent Colleges.
- Loh, P. 2016. Community-University collaborations for environmental justice: Towards a transformative co-learning model. New Solutions Journal, 26(3): 412-428.
- Mohr, J., & Spekman, R. (1994). Characteristics of partnership success: partnership attributes, communication behavior, and conflict resolution techniques. Strategic Management Journal, 15, 135–152.
- Ray, D. (2016). “Campus-Community Partnership: A Stubborn Commitment to Reciprocal Relationships.” Diversity and Democracy. Spring 2016, Vol. 19, No. 2. Retreived September 3, 2018 at: https://www.aacu.org/diversitydemocracy/2016/spring/ray.
- Reardon, K.M. (2006). “Promoting reciprocity within university/community development partnerships: Lesson from the field.” Planning Practice and Research Practice & Research (1):95-107.
Rich, M. A., & Tsitsos, W. (2018). New Urban Regimes in Baltimore: Higher Education Anchor Institutions and Arts and Culture–Based Neighborhood Revitalization. Education and Urban Society, 50(6), 524-547.
Sandy, M., & Holland, B. A. (2006). Different worlds and common ground: Community partner perspectives on campus-community partnerships. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, 13(1), 30-43
- Sandmann, L. R., & Kliewer, B. W. (2012). Theoretical and applied perspectives on power: Recognizing processes that undermine effective community-university partnerships. Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship, 5(2).
- Sandy, M. (2007). Community Voices: A California Campus Compact Study on Partnerships Final Report. California Campus Compact. Retrieved September 27, 2018.
- Siemers, C.K., Harrison, B., Clayton, P.H., & Stanley, T.A. (2015). “Engaging Place as Partner.” Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, Fall 2015, 101-104.
Srinivas, T., Meenan, C. E., Drogin, E., & DePrince, A. P. (2015). Development of the Community Impact Scale Measuring Community Organization Perceptions of Partnership Benefits and Costs. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, 21(2), 5-21.
Stewart, T., & Alrutz, M. (2012). Meaningful relationships: Cruxes of university-community partnerships for sustainable and happy engagement. Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship, 5(1), 44-55.
- Torres, J., & Schaffer, J. (2000). Benchmarks for campus community partnerships. Providence, RI: Campus Compact.
Ward, K., & Wolf-Wendel, L. (2000). Community-centered service learning: Moving from doing for to doing with. American Behavioral Scientist, 43(5), 767-780.
Yamamura, E.K. & Koth, K. (2018). Place-Based Community Engagement in Higher Education: A Strategy to Transform Universities and Communities. Herndon, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- Yates, J. & Accardi, M. (2019). Field Guide for Urban-University Partnerships. Charlottesville, VA: Thriving Cities Lab.
To suggest additional key readings, please contact Clayton Hurd at email@example.com.