Key Readings on Asset-Based Community Development and Engagement
*Updated May 2021*
- Hamerlinck, J., & Plaut, J. (2014). Asset-based community engagement in higher education. Minneapolis, MN: Minnesota Campus Compact.
- McKnight, J. (2017). Asset-based community development: The essentials. Chicago, IL: Asset-Based Community Development Institute.
Additional Key Readings and Resources
- Collaborative for Neighborhood Transformation. What is Asset-Based Community Development (ABCD)?
- Donaldson, L. P., & Daughtery, L. (2011). Introducing asset-based models of social justice into service learning: A social work approach. Journal of Community Practice, 19(1), 80–99.
- Garoutte, L., & McCarthy-Gilmore, K. (2014). Preparing students for community- based learning using an asset-based approach. Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 14(5), 48–61.
- Indianapolis Neighborhood Resource Center. (2012). Organizer’s Workbook: A Tool to Support Your Awesome Neighborhood.
- Kretzmann, J., & McKnight, J. (1993). Building community from the inside out. Evanston, IL: Center for Urban Affairs and Policy Research.
- McKnight, J & Russell, C. (2018). Four Essential Elements of an Asset-Based Community Development Process.
- Principles of Good Practice. Community Development Society.